Thursday 14 March 2013

The New Cross Fire


This Poem was posted 23rd February, I wrote this poem for no other reason, than it needed to be written.  I need to let everyone who wasn't there at the time know what were going through.  The response I got after posting this poem confirmed to me the type of poetry I need to be producing. I would like to be considered as a Griot a storyteller that’s what I do. I tell the stories that time has forgotten.  I like to give those too weak a voice.


Marlon Kush Palmer picked it up and posted it on his timeline, to which I am so grateful, as the comments and response was so encouraging.  
Linton Kwesi Johnson I should say The Great Linton Kwesi Johnson, I have met him on several occasions, he is dignified distinctive  no one wears a trilby like him, so very hard working.  I remember when I  was starting out and sending him some poetry.  He looked it over as I remember he was favourable and encouraging.

His tireless campaigning and work towards raising everyone’s awareness of this tragedy will always put him in high esteem with me.







#22 The New Cross Fire
The fire took hold in a lower room.
Fire always climbs and rises to the top
So the party goers had no chance of escape
Just like that one by one they dropped
There are tales of breaking glass
No one can confirm what came first
Was the fire started from outside or in?
The fire took hold it blazed and blazed
What could be saved were saved
The news spread fast, we organised quickly
We marched and marched
Linton kwesi Johnson was instrumental
He became the voice of those who suffered in this blaze
Enquiry after enquiry
Still no closer to what happened that night
There was some family issues, some family in fight
When will the lies die?
Who has to die before these lies stop breathing life?
That night when 13 / 14 died
In my heart it still cries and cries



New Cross Fire Click on For More Info

No comments:

Post a Comment