Thursday 14 March 2013

Confused About Shopping


This was posted 19th February, this has got to be one of my most opinionated poems.  I am seriously concerned with the amount we are spending on items of clothing.  I remember when I was younger and I was going out probably once a week, to a house party or  a club.  I would regularly rave with the same group of girls, the week leading up to the night out, would be punctuated with long conversations of what they were going to wear, and where they have seen it and how much it would set them back but of course “THEY JUST HAD TO HAVE IT”.  My friend Celia would go on at me as I wouldn't get involved in these conversations, I was a single parent working and barely making ends meet.  I went out to relieve the boredom .  

I had a black dress maybe two, I could wear it just above my knee or a little higher up the thigh, it was some sort of lycra material (you remember lycra) I Luv Lycra! I could pull the shoulders down so it could be worn provocatively off the shoulders.  One black dress many tricks .

Now that's the kinda thing I can spend money on.  I believe I am sensible with money.  I remember being taught in Latin about Mensils hiearchy of needs.

Basically most things in life are wants and desires, there are only three needs
Need 1-   Food
Need 2-  shelter
Need 3 - More Money???

I will explain the last one.  Only when you have had money and spent it do you know the value of it, so from then on your need is to acquire more money.

Everything else is a want.

There is no need to have in excess of lets say maybe 8 pairs of shoes in the case of my colleagues who demonstrated this
2 pairs of shoes (1 black , 1 brown)
2 pairs of boots (1 black, 1 brown)
2 pairs of trainers
1 pair of crocs

yes I know it makes 7.  I never said maths was my strong point
in contrast his wife owned 57 pairs of shoes, which the ruthless reduced to 32 as she was able to put in a strong argument as to why that or this particular shoe should stay.  32 was still alot we both agreed.






#18 Spending Frenzy
Spending has got out of control
Spending money you simply don’t own
Its ok, you will put on the card
How long can you keep up with this facade?
How many items do you need?
Three trousers, two skirts
1 suit 2 dresses a good pair of jeans
Something for the summer when it comes
A decent shirt that does all the way up
That should be enough
Everything else you could do without
I’ve never understood the fascination with shoes
Ladies this is directed to you
Really don’t mean to be rude
As for the handbags the teenie tiny
And the grand
Another fascination I don’t understand
You are not Hilary Banks
She was fictional and so was her Dad
I’ve examined my anatomy
I can report quite happily
I only have two feet
So truckloads of shoes in the cupboard
Under the bed, even in the garden shed
There are far better things
To spend your money on instead
I’ve looked around I am here to report
Your shopping habits needs to be retaught
This crazy spending has to stop
Next time you get some money
You may as well give it to me
Or just burn the lot
Look at what you’ve accumulated
Add up all that you have got.....
Yes! Shocking isn’t it?
The total spend will make you drop
You could be living in a better house
Or cruising on your very own yacht
Educated your children
Then they would get a chance
To become what you had not
I understand the pull
And how they lure you in
We are seduced by the language
They get you in a spin
They’ve got you by the throat
You need to say
Let me go! let me go!
Or you will be spending in you box!





No comments:

Post a Comment