Tuesday 26 March 2013

Dot Cotton My Idle in Love






This poem was posted on Valentines day.  I wanted to talk about real love.  Not the whisk you of your feet love, which gets so much publicity.  How about the quiet love which when you encounter it is truly magical.  This is what happened for Dot in Eastenders (I know she's a fictional character).  Dot spent many years on the square with no love interest, she had an awful husband and a wicked son.  No one to lookout for her and love her, then Jim Branning came along and it was magical.  I would joke there is hope for me yet.


Have I met my Jim Branning????




#14 Everlasting Love

How could it happen?
At my age I should know better
You were not my first love,
I pray you will be my last.
As I entered a new stage
Scared to love after all that had been
Many years standing waiting at Loves door
I am like a trapped animal
I have been caught in this Love cage
They say it was wrong
We say it’s so right  
As we made love through the night
Now time has past
Where are all those people?
Who said it would never last
We have proved them wrong
As we sit on this verandah watching the sun go down
Humming our own love song
The children are all grown and flown the nest
We’ve entered quieter times
I have to confess I prefer this best
You still make me smile
Even though my teeth remain in a glass
During the night
And when I need to eat
You were my toy boy
You are now the one that keeps me alive
Me at 90 you at 85
Occasionally I catch you staring and smiling at me
Not sure if it’s the cataracts I must look a mess
Surely you are tired of looking at this weathered face
My hair is thinning
Whatever I do it looks a frightful mess
Even though time has moved on
I am grateful for the times we had
Some rocky some not so bad
But we made it
Here we are
Memory slipping
Eyesight failing

Some things
I hear some I just assume
Every day seems to bring a new complaint
It doesn’t matter
As we have each other
I care for you dearly
I now know you have been sent from above
After all these years
You are still my everlasting love




No comments:

Post a Comment