Sunday 19 January 2014

The New cross Fire. 32 years on

I remember the fire as if it was yesterday.  Racial tension in the area? I have cause to spent a lot of time in that area.  I have to say no.  Everyone is struggling on the same level, there is racial harmony amongst the poor.  I don't know what it was like all those years ago, but whenever I visit I am marvelled at the races linking arms.  Women walking side by side black and white.  There is the mutual respect that I haven't seen anywhere else.  In Brixton there is the unspoken segregation, I speak of Brixton say 20 years ago. ( I got know idea what goes on there now) In Brixton when you see the racist mixing it is often some wanna be Black guy.  He has a great record collection, his has mastered the swagger and he can talk patois like any 'just come from yard Jamaican' New  Cross and Deptford no they have found peace.

posted fb 19/01/14

#346 I remember


I remember it, like it was yesterday
I remember the cries
‘No justice no peace!’
we marched for those lost lives
now so many years on
this empty spot in my heart
has not been filled
with the answers
as to why
was it the music too loud?
or was it a feud?
there is someone out there
who knows the sickening truth
does it haunt them?
both day and night
or have they drugged themselves up
to keep the memories out
do they wake from their sleep
with a  deafening shout
have I walked past them in the street?
maybe they are begging as we speak
until they confess
this will be their eternal grief

No comments:

Post a Comment